Quotes & Comments…
“The key is to set realistic customer expectations, and then not to just meet them, but to exceed them – preferably in unexpected and helpful ways.” – Richard Branson, Founder of the Virgin Group
“Quality in a service or product is not what you put into it. It is what the client or customer gets out of it.” – Peter Drucker, Management Consultant
“The thing that keeps a business ahead of the competition is excellence in execution.” – Tom Peters, Writer
“A big part of our people-first culture is treating people with respect and transparency.” – Arne Sorenson, former CEO of Marriott
“Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” – Theodore Roosevelt
FM Broadcast – Winter 2021
Reflecting on the Past Decade
When we started FlemingMartin in 2011, our goal was to build a firm focused on execution with relationships built on trust. We always love working with new companies, but our measure of success is largely based on how many existing clients come back to us.
We were able to end 2020 on a high note as companies started hiring executive leaders again, and most of our new searches came from existing clients or long-term relationships. We have had a great start to 2021 and will continue to put clients first, focusing on recruiting exceptional individuals who will make a lasting impact. We anticipate expanding the firm in order to meet the needs of our growing clients and we look forward to what the next decade has in store.
Here are our Top 10 Lessons Learned – one for each of the past 10 years:
- People Matter – whether it’s the CEO of a large client, a VP reaching out for guidance when she finds herself out of work for the first time, or a college student looking for an internship, the professionals in your network are worthy of time and attention.
- Relationship is Invaluable – our best business is done with people we know and understand at a level beyond a corporate description or personal resume. Having a personal relationship allows understanding, empathy, and appreciation for what others need in order to be successful. While tools like LinkedIn have brought increased access to candidates, personal touch remains core to the profession.
- Help Others Without Expecting Immediate Reciprocity –this generous approach with clients, referral partners, and candidates pays long-term dividends. Instead of “keeping score” of who helps whom, develop the habit of giving lavishly and the long-term rewards will be a revelation.
- Happy Clients = More Business – by focusing first on execution and delivering a white-glove experience to clients, you create a long-term client who also refers new business and helps build your reputation.
- Take Your Own Medicine – it’s often easier to excel at serving your clients while ignoring your own firm. We have learned the importance of applying the same rigorous recruiting and evaluation process we use with our clients when recruiting people to join FlemingMartin, and it pays off with a great team.
- Show Your Appreciation – there are so many people who make a difference in your life, your profession, and your career. Give credit where it is due and take time to thank those who have helped you learn and advance along the way.
- Curiosity is an Underappreciated Trait – those who sometimes jump down a rabbit hole, keep asking questions, and seek new knowledge and understanding have proven to be our greatest assets.
- Be Knowledgeable about the Latest Trends – as innovative companies trailblaze and deploy new technologies, make sure you know what’s happening in your industry on a local, regional, national, and global scale. Stay up to date on news related to clients, their competitors, and, of course, your own industry and profession.
- Lead with Compassion – the last year has been a trying time for us all. You never know what may be going on behind the scenes in your colleagues’ lives, so it is important to lead with compassion. Whether you’re an executive leader, manager, individual contributor, or a consultant, we’re all on this journey together.
- Take Care of Yourself, Too – it can be tempting to spend so much of your energy and effort on external achievement at the expense of your own physical, emotional, social, and environmental health. Being healthy means you can take better care of yourself and others.
Client Snapshot: Bill.com (NYSE: BILL)
It’s often considered the tedious part of running a business, but collecting payments (and paying invoices) is still one of the most essential aspects for any organization. The process has not significantly changed in many years, but Bill.com (NYSE:BILL) is altering that reality.
Bill.com provides an end-to-end cloud-based payments platform that simplifies, digitizes, and automates the critical accounts receivable and payables function. With a market cap of more than $15B, Bill.com is automating complex financial operations and has created an intelligent back-office cloud for small and midsize businesses, successfully merging software, payments, and artificial intelligence.
As Bill.com continues to grow exponentially and to serve more clients, we are honored to partner with their leadership team to help them attract top HR and Customer Success executive talent. Our Firm is currently recruiting a VP of Total Rewards & People Ops and Head of Training & Professional Development.
A big congratulations to our friends at Talis Biomedical for their successful IPO! Talis is an innovative biomedical diagnostics company focused on infectious diseases and a desire to revolutionize medicine. Talis’ new diagnostic platform is entering commercialization with a focus on rapid point-of-care testing for COVID-19.
Our Firm has partnered with the team at Talis to recruit an SVP of Operations and VP of Software and is presently working to bring a Head of Talent Acquisition and Head of Total Rewards into the business. We appreciate our partnership and look forward to all that is in store for Talis in the months and years ahead.
FlemingMartin News – We are Hiring!
Jonah Klein and Fleming Jones continue to drive the Firm’s Life Sciences and Healthtech practice, serving clients across biotech, pharma, diagnostics, medical devices, and digital health. Due to the phenomenal growth and momentum occurring in Digital Health (e.g., virtual care delivery, administrative automation, clinical intelligence), we are committing additional resources to this field to better support our clients. The Firm is now recruiting a Practice Leader to focus exclusively on this segment and we are excited about pursuing this vertical more comprehensively. We encourage you to read about the role here.
Recruiting the best executive talent
Highlighted Current Searches
Public Technology Company
- VP, Total Rewards & People Operations
- Director, Training & Professional Development
Private Fintech Company
- Head of Talent Acquisition
Private Equity-Owned Consumer Goods Company
- Director, Procurement & Production
Public Biotech Company
- VP, HR
Public Biotech Company
- Director, Product Management
Public Biotech Company
- VP, Pharmacovigilance
Private Biotech Company
Public Diagnostic Company
- Head of Talent Acquisition
- Head of Total Rewards
Private Packaging and Logistics Company
- Head of HR
Public Autonomous Vehicle Technology Company
- SVP, Operations
Confidential Software Company
- Chief People Officer