Looking back on 2014… California finally got some much needed rain and snow, the U.S. economy came back strong in spite of political gridlock in the nation’s capital, and Navy’s football win-streak against Army became a teenager (Fleming tried to edit this part out).
In 2014, FlemingMartin hosted more than 30 dinners and events in order to bring executives in our local communities together. Highlights included: a scotch tasting dinner in the 101 Corridor, a wine tasting event, a Chief Economists Panel in San Francisco, an HR Leaders’ dinner with Great Place to Work in Silicon Valley, a first-time dinner in San Diego and a recurring dinner series in Santa Barbara.
We also enjoyed the chance to thank several of our clients on the San Francisco Bay during Fleet Week. Along with some longtime business partners, we rented the USS POTOMAC, Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s Presidential Yacht, and watched the Blue Angels with about 120 friends and guests. We were happy that the fog broke enough for the show to go as planned. We were also extremely fortunate to be joined onboard by George Dom, a former Commanding Officer of the Blue Angels. George moderated the show for the entire crew and guests. Needless to say, it was an incredible day and a truly unique way to experience Fleet Week.
During the show, George commented that the team often flies in formation with their wingtips just 18 inches apart from one another. During these maneuvers the team is 100% focused on the lead plane and therefore reliant on the Commanding Officer to guide them safely to their destination. George’s observation got us thinking about leadership and how leaders can inspire their teams to achieve the seemingly impossible.
We thought we would share some thoughts on leadership and look forward to catching up at some point during 2015!
Martin “Marty” McMahon
Thought Provoking Articles
- What Makes a Leader? – From Harvard Business Review: Daniel Goleman makes the case for Emotional Intelligence as a key differentiator of executive success…
- Achieving More with Trust – George Dom’s TEDx talk about leadership and how he built trust as the leader of the Blue Angels…
- Leaders Who Inspire: a 21st-Century Approach to Developing Your Talent – From Bain & Company…
- John Madden Meets the Blue Angels – For fun, we included a link to footage and audio from a live broadcast of a 49ers/Rams NFL football game played in 1997. George Dom led his Blue Angels team in a surprise “fly by” of Candlestick Park during the game. The footage is from a time before high definition, but the audio is vintage John Madden
Client Snapshot – Den-Mat
DenMat (www.denmat.com) is a prominent manufacturer of innovative esthetic dentistry and advanced oral health solutions and has quickly grown into a major player in the dental products industry. It is owned and operated by one of the most recognized management teams in the industry, with financial backing from Centre Partners (www.centrepartners.com).
DenMat makes and assembles most of its products at its headquarters on the Central Coast of California. The Company offers three main product categories: Consumables, Small Equipment, and a full-service Dental Laboratory. DenMat’s brands include Lumineers®, the world’s #1 patient-requested thin veneer, Rotadent® power toothbrushes, Flashlite™ curing lights, and many others.
FlemingMartin recently helped DenMat bring their new Senior Vice President of Marketing to the Company. After an extensive national search, DenMat selected Mary Nash as their new marketing leader. Mary previously led marketing for large divisions within Covidien, Ossur, and Edwards Lifesciences. With Mary in the mix, DenMat is continuing its vision of building one of the world’s great dental companies—one happy dentist at a time!
Blue Angels Event
Recently Completed Searches
- Director of Product Management
ARC Document Solutions (NYSE:ARC)
- Regional Accounts Director
Clean Diesel Technologies, Inc. (NASDAQ:CDTI)
- Vice President of Licensing
Climate Corporation (owned by Monsanto)
- Director of Talent Acquisition
- Senior Vice President, Marketing
KYTHERA Biopharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:KYTH)
- Corporate Controller
Virco Manufacturing (NASDAQ:VIRC)
- SVP Marketing & Business Development
Public Software Company
- Managing Director/General Manager
Private Cosmetics Company
- Corporate Controller
Private Equity Owned Industrial Manufacturer
- Vice President of Finance
Private Food Company
- Head of Information Technology
Private Real Estate Investment Firm
- Vice President Information Technology
Private Software Company
- Sr. Director of Product Management
Private Transportation & Environmental Services Company
- Vice President of Operations